10 Laws

Sent to me by Jane Williams - my daughter (who apparently can't count)

Any browser

MURPHY'S LAW
If anything can go wrong it will

O'TOOLE'S COMMENTARY ON MURPHY'S LAW
Murphy was an optimist

THE UNSPEAKABLE LAW
As soon as you mention something
- if it's good it goes away
- if it's bad, it happens

NONRECIPROCAL LAWS OF EXPECTATIONS
Negative expectations yield negative results
Positive expectations yield negative results

HOWE'S LAW
Every man has a scheme that will not work

ZYMURGY'S FIRST LAW OF EVOLVING SYSTEMS DYNAMICS
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can

ETORRE'S OBSERVATION
The other line moves faster

SKINNER'S CONSTANT
That quantity which, when multiplied by, divided by, added to, or subtracted from the answer you get, gives you the answer you should have got

LAW OF SELECTIVE GRAVITY
An object will fall so as to do the most damage

JENNING'S COROLLARY
The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side down is directionally proportional to the cost of the carpet.

GORDON'S FIRST LAW
If a research project is not worth doing at all, it is not worth doing well.

MAIER'S LAW
If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.

HOARE'S LAW OF LARGE PROBLEMS
Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.

BOREN'S FIRST LAW
When in doubt, mumble

THE GOLDEN RULE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
Whoever has the gold makes the rules

BARTH'S DISTINCTION
There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types, and those who don't

SEGAL'S LAW
A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES
The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90%.

FARBER'S FOURTH LAW
Necessity makes strange bedfellows


Main links within this site:

Jim's Jottings Home Page

Genealogy and Family History | Gardening with Strange Ideas

Humour? | Politics and Philosophy | Science

Jim Fisher Summary Biography | Miscellaneous Small Items

Contact me | Map of This Site | Web Site Design and Browser Compatibility Policy

Top of this page