This set of pages (only one at present!) is a joint project by a number of Glazzard family history researchers to pool our information and make it available to one another and to others who may be interested. In addition to the summary of information on this page, we have also set up a mailing list and will add a set of relevant files of information giving more details, especially about relations with other families through marriages. If you have an interest in Glazzard family history, please join our group and share with us in this project. If you spot anything on these pages which you think is wrong, or have any suggestions for improvements, please let us know.
The pages are set up as a part of the webmaster's (Jim Fisher) personal web site for convenience, hence the personalised links at the bottom, but much more data has been provided by other members of our group. Links to other members' pages will be added as and when they request.
Neither the surname GLAZZARD nor any of its commoner variants is mentioned any of the surname reference books which I have available. These are: Hanks and Hodges: Dictionary of Surnames, Reaney and Wilson: A Dictionary of English Surnames and Cottle: The Penguin Dictionary of Surnames.
However, another (unspecified) source gives two possibilities. One is that it is derived from the Breton Glaz [= grey head]. The other is that it is a variant of the Central and Western European surnames Gleize, Glaise and Glaezel, all of which are derived from the Latin ecclesia and indicate a church worker.
It is worth considering that the name ending -ard can be either a variant of a location name, as in Stoppard, which is a variant of Stopforth (the early name for the town of Stockport), or it can be the French pejorative name ending. In this case, the French ending combined with the Breton origin seems the more likely to me.
The following variants have been found so far, and there may well be others:
GLAZAR (this one is fortunately exceptionally rare, since it could cause confusion with the quite different name GLAZER, of which it is also a known variant)
The earliest records for the name that we know of so far are all in Worcestershire, with the earliest being the marriage of John Glaserd to Alys Blacke in Kings Areley, Worcestershire on 5th November 1562. The second is the marriage of John Glasard to Jane Higges at Kidderminster, Worcestersire on 8th May 1572. The first baptism, possibly of a child of that first marriage but more likely of the second, at Kidderminster, Worcestershire, of Richard, son of John, on 15th August 1574 (It could, of course, be the same John in each marriage). After that there were quite a number of baptisms in Abberley, Worcestershire and a few in nearby Mamble, but with marriages a little more scattered but still in the same area of Worcestershire (Kidderminster and a group of villages a little to the south-west of that town). The only exception before the 19th century was a marriage at Abdon, Shropshire in 1686 (Georg Page married Rachel Glassart), but this is still not far from the others.
1823 saw the first move a little further away, with the baptism at Sedgley, Staffordshire of George, son of Thomas and Mary. In 1838 John Glazzard married Elizabeth Baines at Tipton, Staffordshire, and it is from these Staffordshire Black Country Glazzards that most if not all of our group of researchers (or their relatives) are descended.
It was not until the later part of the 19th century that some members of the family appear to have moved further afield, with a baptism in Bedminster, Somerset in 1864 and another in Chesterfield, Derbyshire in 1882. Another family emigrated to Ohio, USA, apparently in the 1860s. By the time of the 1881 census the Glazzards were more scattered, with one Sedgley family having moved to Northumberland, and another to Altofts, near Wakefield in Yorkshire, while one Worcestershire family had moved to London and another to Manchester.
This summary family tree includes only those people we are reasonably confident that we have linked into our own families and to each other. Join the group to ask about sources and related families!
b = (in most cases) baptised
m = married
d = (in most cases) buried
- The parish of Sedgley included Lower Gornal and Gornalwood (and other villages), so it is not incompatible with either of them when this difference occurs.
- This family tree includes all known linked Glazzards (from the databases used as sources for it) plus their spouses, children and children's spouses. Details such as birth and marriage dates are omitted for people known or thought to be still living
- As yet this family tree incorporates mainly the data provided on GEDCOM files by Warren Baines (WB), Trish Bradley (TB) and (via Trish) Russell Clark (RC), plus my own data (EJF). Other data provided in different formats is now being incorporated as I find time to catch up with it.
- * before a name indicates conflicting data - this currently applies to 20 individuals out of 138 - we should compare sources to attempt to resolve the differences.
- ## before a name indicates a member of the group. Most group members are not shown on the family tree below either because their link to the name is too remote or because we do not yet know how they relate to those shown on the tree.
Thomas Glazzard b Gornalwood 1794 m Mary BAKER, Wolverhampton, 1814 d Gornalwood 1826 [See additional Glazzard descendants of Mary Baker at the end of this tree]
- John Glazzard b Sedgley 1816 m Elizabeth BAINES, Tipton, 1838
- *Thomas Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1839-40 (EJF) or Lower Gornal 1841 (RC) or Sedgley 1841 (TB) or Sedgley 1842 (WB) m Delilah HICKMANS (née COX) Lower Gornal 1863
- Thomas Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1863 m Mary FRITH Altofts, Yorks 1890 d Altofts, Yorks 1936
- Benjamin Glazzard b 1909 m Eileen HOUGH 1929 m Kathleen POPPLE (née HALL) 1971 d 1990
- Elizabeth (Betty) Glazzard
- Derek Glazzard
- Karen Glazzard
- Kathryn Glazzard
- ## Kathleen Valerie (Kate) Glazzard m Hans Jurgen CROUCH m John SIDDALL
- Delilah Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1891 (TB) or 1892 (WB) m James Alfred HOLDSWORTH Altofts, Yorks 1909
- Elizabeth Holdsworth
- Cliff or Clifford Holdsworth
- Phyliss Glazzard m Horace TUCKER
- Keith Tucker
- Alan Tucker
- Irene Tucker
- Elizabeth Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1892 m Joseph Robinson HAMMIL Altofts, Yorks 1912
- Thomas Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1895 d France 1918
- Sarah Hannah Glazzard b 1895
- Henry (Harry) Glazzard Normanton, Yorks 1898 m Eva WOOD Altofts, Yorks 1922 d Castleford, Yorks 1969
- Jim Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1923 m Mary SILCOCK d Huddersfield, Yorks 1996
- Jennifer Glazzard
- Richard Glazzard m Valery ?
- Mary Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1925 d Altofts, Yorks 1925
- Jean Glazzard m Clarence Sydney SHORT
- Andrew Short
- Charles Robert Short
- Judith Mary Short
- ## Donald Short
- Harry Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1928 m Margaret Bennet SKITT d Pontefract, Yorks 1988
- Margaret Mavis Glazzard m Miroslaw ZYGOCKI
- Eve Glazzard m Kazimierz KUBIAK
- Karen Wanda Ann Kubiak
- Margaret Rose Kubiak
- David Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1900 m Sarah ARMSTRONG
- Richard Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1902 m Doris Maude HEWITT Altofts, Yorks d Altofts, Yorks 1949
- Brian Glazzard m Ann Christine SIMPSON
- Susan Glazzard m ? KOWALSKI
- Hazel Glazzard
- William Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1904
- Elizabeth Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1866
- Mary Ann Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1868 m (1) Joseph FENNELL Altofts, Yorks 1886 m (2) Walter FAWCETT Wakefield, Yorks 1902 d Wakefield, Yorks 1951
- George Edward Fennell b 1887 m Clara CLARKE Wakefield, Yorks 1914 d Wakefield, Yorks 1960
- Lavinia Fennell b 1890
- Joseph Fennell b 1892 m Sally ?
- William Fennell b 1893
- Pauline (Polly) Fennell b 1897 m Arthur INGHAM Wakefield, Yorks 1914
- Harriet (Lal) Fennell b 1899 m ? NUNWICK
- Ada Fennell b 1901 m Alfred E.T. GREENALD
- Phyliss Fawcett m John SMART Phyliss Fawcett m John SMART
- Elizabeth (Liza) Fawcett b 1908 m Thomas Richard Glazzard d 1985
- Robert Fawcett b Altofts, Yorks 1904 m Annice BOOTH (née SMITH) Wakefield, Yorks 1926 d Wakefield, Yorks 1981
- Thomas Fawcett b 1911 m Jessie ? d 1959
- Anna Glazzard b Gornal 1871
- Hannah Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1872 m Herbert William Hamer Leeds 1894
- *Richard Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1875 (TB) or 1876 (WB) m Mary ? d 1949
- Phyliss Glazzard b 1879 m Joseph TURNER Altofts, Yorks 1896 d Altofts, Yorks 1896
- *Samuel Henry Glazzard b Altofts, Yorks 1880, m Edith Cadnam GOSSOP
- Levitha Glazzard b 1901, m Joe Hopkinson 1921 Wakefield, d Doncaster, Yorks 1978
- Margaret Hopkinson b 1921 Wakefield
- Florence V Hopkinson b 1923 Hemsworth
- Samuel Henry Hopkinson b 1924 Hemsworth
- Jessie Hopkinson b 1927 Hemsworth
- William D Hopkinson b 1929 Doncaster
- Thomas Anthony Hopkinson b 1933 Doncaster
- Samuel Henry Glazzard b 1902 m Maria ? d Altofts, Yorks 1985
- Thomas Richard Glazzard b 1906 m Elizabeth (Liza) FAWCETT
- Iris Glazzard m Norman GARDNER
- Thomas Richard Glazzard m(1) ? m(2) Mary LEE
- Karen Glazzard
- Deborah Glazzard
- Pat Glazzard m ? BRICKWOOD
- Jane Glazzard b Sedgley 1849 m Thomas OLDFIELD Lower Gornal 1866
- Joseph Glazzard b Ruiton/Lower Gornal 1856
- William Glazzard b Sedgley 1855 m Francis Martha FONES Lower Gornal 1874
- Thomas Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1877
- Clara Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1878
- Ada Glazzard b Normanton, Yorks 1882
- John T. Glazzard b Normanton, Yorks 1887 d Belgium 1917
- Alethea (or Eletha) Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1891
- Sarah Jane Glazzard b Gornal 1851 m ? CARTER
- Susanna Glazzard b Sedgley 1815
- *James Glazzard b Dudley 1818 m Mary CLARKE (daughter of Miss Clarke & Benjamin Hyde) Sedgley 2 Jan 1843, d Lower Gornal 1850 (bur 18 Feb 1850)
- Samuel Clarke b Lower Gornal bap Gornal 23 Mar 1842
- Patience Glazzard b Sedgley 1844 (TB) or 1843-44 (EJF) or Lower Gornal 1843 (RC) d Lower Gornal 1854
- *Mary Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1845 (TB & RC) or Sedgley 1844-45 (EJF) m Edward LOWE Lower Gornal 1868 (3rd quarter)
- Rosetta/Rosa Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1866 m Joseph DAVIS Lower Gornal 1891
- John Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1889
- Mary Emma Davis b Lower Gornal 1891
- *Earnest(TB) or Ernest (RC) Davis b Lower Gornal 1894
- Joseph Davis b Lower Gornal 1897
- Mary Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1868 m Jeremiah Clark Wigan 1897
- *Mary Glazzard b 1890 (TB) or Lower Gornal 1891 (RC)
- Daisy May Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1894
- Jeremiah Clark b 1898
- Doris Clark
- Fanny Lowe b Lower Gornal 1871 m Joseph DARBY Lower Gornal 1891
- Thomas Lewis Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1847 (TB & RC) or Sedgley 1846-47 (EJF) m Jane OAKLEY Dudley 1871, bur Tynemouth 1907
- Edith Glazzard b Seghill, Northumberland 1879
- Mary Glazzard b 1883
- James Thomas Glazzard b 1886 m Ethel ROSCOE
- Thomas Glazzard m Jeannie Donaldson Furguson TERRY
- Rona Jean Glazzard m Tony ARTHUR
- James Thomas Glazzard m Christine HOWE
- Ben James Glazzard
- Thomas William Glazzard
- Senga Elizabeth Glazzard m John Leadbitter
- Sarah Jane Glazzard Sarah Jane Glazzard
- Ronald Glazzard
- Beatrice Glazzard b 1892
- *Rozetta (TB) or Rosetta (RC & EJF) Glazzard b Sedgley 1848-49 (EJF) or 1848 (RC) or 1849 (TB) d Lower Gornal 1853
- *Mary Glazzard b Gornal 1820 (TB) or Lower Gornal 1820-21 (EJF) or Sedgley 1821 (RC), m Thomas BATE, Wolverhampton 1837
- Thomas Bate b 1838
- Elizabeth Bate b 1841
- Sarah Jane Bate b Sedgley 1842 m John BALL, Lower Gornal 1858
- Benjamin Bate b Lower Gornal 1845
- George Bate b Lower Gornal 1850
- *George Glazzard b 1820 (TB) or 1822 (EJF) or Sedgley 1823 (RC) m Sarah Jane CLOWER, Wolverhampton 1843
- Emma Glazzard b Gornalwood 1844 d Lower Gornal 1850
- *Mary Glazzard b Gornalwood (TB & RC) or Sedgley (EJF) 1846 m Barker SPENCER Columbiana, Ohio, USA
- *Charity Glazzard b Sedgley 1847 (EJF) or Gornal 1848 (TB & RC)
- *Faith Glazzard b Lower Gornal (TB & RC) or Sedgley (EJF) 1850
- *George Glazzard b Sedgley 1851-52 (EJF) or Lower Gornal 1853 (TB & RC)
- [James Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1855 d Lower Gornal 1858] (parentage uncertain - RC comment)
- *Hannah Glazzard b Sedgley 1856-57 (EJF) or Lower Gornal 1857 (TB & RC)
- *Jonathan Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1859 m Lillian HOFIUS
- Blanch Glazzard b Ohio, USA 1891
- Elmer A. Glazzard b Ohio, USA 1897
- Martha Glazzard b Gornal 1859
- Eli Glazzard b Lower Gornal 1861
- George Glazzard b 1864 (TB) or Lower Gornal 1863 (RC)
- Opy Glazzard b Pennsylvania, USA 1867
- Charles Glazzard
- ? Glazzard
- ## Charles (Don) Glazzard
- Thomas Glazzard b Sedgley 1825
Mary Glazzard (née Baker) had an illegitimate son Benjamin fathered by Stephen Jeavons, and later, (before the 1841 census) married Thomas HOBSON. Benjamin's family tree (so far as known) follows:-
- Benjamin Glazzard b Sedgley 1828 m Elizabeth FELLOWS d Lower Gornal 1853
- Benjamin Glazzard b Sedgley 1848
Eve Kubiak sent the following information:
There was a Thomas Glazzard, Private, Marine, in the battle of Trafalgar. Ship HMS Minotaur.
He was 19 years old in 1804. Details supplied on request to Eve don't say if he was pressed into service or not. It seems they supplied clothes for the men. Thomas's cost the Admiralty 18 shillings and 9 pence. Tobacco 6 shillings and 4 pence at least that is what it looks like. It looks as if he was born about 1785 so who is he?
Does anyone have any more information, or know how it might be found?
Nancy Glazzard sent the following information:
Victor Malcolm Glazzard (b 6 Jan 1908 Stourbridge - d Jan 1999 Chelsire) was married to Mary Cartwright in Jan-Mar 1929.
They had a son Malcolm Glazzard (b 1 July 1931 in Wirral, Cheshire). Malcolm came to the US and settled in Rhode Island. I know the info about his family here, but nothing about his ancestry. When I talked to him a number of years ago, he told me he didn't know a lot about his ancestry - thought maybe there was a John, but wasn't sure.
Does anyone know any more about Victor Malcolm?
Birth registered first quarter 1908 (Mar 1908) at Mansfield, Notts., GRO ref 6b 83
Birth registered second quarter 1908 (Jun 1908) at Stourbridge, Worcs., GRO ref 6c 176
N.B. This was in the same place as Victor Malcolm mentioned above, and only a maximum of 6 months later. Were there two Glazzard families in Stourbridge at that time?
Birth registered second quarter 1908 (Jun 1908) at Kidderminster, Worcs., GRO ref 6c 225
Graham Sykes kindly sent me this tribute to a famous member of our family:
He played for Huddersfield Town in the late 40s and early 50s and was part of a promotion team to Div One in 52/53 I think. He was my father's hero. He had a marvellous pairing with winger Vic Metcalfe who, that day, provided Jimmy with 4 perfect crosses for 4 headed goals to beat Everton 8-2 in front of an Easter crowd of 30 plus thousand! He was one of Town's all time top scorers. He used to travel on the bus to matches with his kit - a far cry from today's pampered players.
A report of that football match (Easter 1953), with a photo of one of the goals being scored, can be found on the local Huddersfield Daily Examiner newspaper web site.
Jimmy's place in the family tree can be seen above
If you are interested in Glazzard research, why not join our group? This will give you access to various files (GEDCOMS, photos, etc.) which are being put on-line for members only, as well as the chance to send queries to other members and to receive copies of all queries and replies. You will also have access to the archives of past messages. To join the group for current messages only, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the group's Yahoo web page. To access the files and archives you also need to have a Yahoo ID (available free by registering from that web page). The Yahoo group was formed in April 2004, and is growing somewhat faster than expected, but is still very small and does not impose a significant email load.
When you join, you will be asked to tell us your Glazzard interests, so we can weed out time-wasters and spammers before they get access to the mailing list. Attachments cannot be sent to the mailing list, so there is no possibility of receiving a virus from it.
Main links within this site:
Jim's Jottings Home Page
Genealogy and Family History | Gardening with Strange Ideas
Humour? | Politics and Philosophy | Science
Jim Fisher Summary Biography | Diary of Thoughts on Various Issues | Miscellaneous Small Items
Contact me | Map of This Site | Web Site Design and Browser Compatibility Policy
A Personal Family History - People and Places
Top of this page